The official twitter development conference kicks off today in San Fancisco. Ev Willians, Biz Stone and Ryan Sarver are included in the line up of speakers with tomorrow will feature a hack day offering attendees the chance to share and learn from each other.
This new system aims to allow businesses to insert themselves into the conversations stream on Twitter as it happens – to ensure they don’t get buried in the flow of tweets. This will also allow twitter to monetise this model.
The system will launch via a phased approach. Initially, the ads will start with search, with advertisers being able to buy keywords. A Promoted Tweet will appear at the top of the search results when a user searches for that keyword. The system will be tested by pre-determined advertisers initially, including Virgin America, Best Buy, Sony Pictures and Starbucks.
- Recently valued at $1 Billion (£650 million)
- 45 million regular users
- Twitter ended 2009 with just over 75 million user accounts
- The monthly rate of new user accounts peaked in July 2009 and is currently around 6.2 million new accounts per month (or 2-3 per second)
- About 80% of all Twitter users have tweeted fewer than ten times.
- The average Twitter user has 27 followers